To register as an Environmental Consultant in Nigeria you must have relevant expertise and proven competence in a broad spectrum of Environmental Issues also there are some documents that the company should have before commencing accreditation by regulatory organizations some of them includes:-
- Registration Certificate of the Company with Corporate Affairs Commission;
- Article of Memorandum and Association;
- Particulars of Directors of the Company;
- Current VAT and Tax Clearance Certificates of the Company;
- Indication of area(s) of specialization/expertise such as:
- Environmental Audit;
- Post Impact Assessment;
- Environmental Management Systems;
- Environmental Studies;
- Waste Management;
- Environmental Technology;
- Environmental Laboratory Services;
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Evidence of competence in Environmental Consultancy;
- Evidence of previous jobs successfully completed;
- Evidence of registration with other relevant regulatory bodies; and
- Contact address, including functional e-mail address and telephone number(s).
Depending on the area of specialization or expertise the Environmental Consultant intends to focus on the firm would have to get accredited by one or all of the following regulatory authorities Federal Ministry of Environment, National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA) and Department of Petroleum Resources.
Getting Accredited By Federal Ministry of Environment
In case the Environmental consultancy firm intend to focus on Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) studies, Post Impact Assessment (PIA), Environmental Audit (EAu), Environmental Laboratory Services etc. the consultant should be accredited by the Ministry.
- An official application should be written to the Hon. Minister, attention Director, Pollution Control Department.
- The Application letter should be accompanied with the company profile and completed registration form from the Department.
- The Ministry invites the applicant for an Interview which is carried out in batches
- Ministry officials makes a scheduled visit to the consultancy firm for address confirmation and inspection (at a cost to the consultant, this varies with location)
- Shortlisting and Approval
Getting Accredited By National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA)
Accreditation of Environmental Consultants are conducted yearly, each application shall be accompanied by a non-refundable application fee of Twenty Five Thousand Naira (N25, 000.00) payable to any bank through the Treasury Single Account.
Getting Accredited By Department of Petroleum Resources
The DPR is the Petroleum Regulatory Agency in Nigeria charged with the responsibility of ensuring compliance to petroleum laws, regulations and guidelines in the Oil and Gas Industry by monitoring operations at drilling sites, producing wells, production platforms and flow stations, crude oil export terminals, refineries, storage depots, pump stations, retail outlets, any other locations where petroleum is either stored or sold, and all pipelines carrying crude oil, natural gas and petroleum products.
The role of an Environmental Consultant can’t be overemphasized in an oil rich Nation like Nigeria.
In case you are interested in providing Oil and Gas sector related Environmental Services such as Oil Spill Control/Clean Up and Remediation, Environmental Assessment/Studies (EIA, EER, PIA), Management of Oil Field Wastes (drill cuttings, waste drilling fluid, deck drainage), Offshore Fumigation, Cleaning and Sanitation etc. all you have to do is Follow the steps below to apply for your permit
- Online Application: DPR application is done online on the DPR website, applicants are to provide correct and functional addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail at the time of submission to create a company account and fill in necessary details.
- Document Upload: All required documents depending on the appropriate category should be uploaded in PDF or JPEG format to the DPR portal. Under major and specialized categories where services of professionals or licensed/certified practitioners are required, applicants are to attach certificates of membership of such Professional body and other relevant documents as may be applicable.
- Submission and Payment: Upon successful upload of all required documents, applicant may go ahead to pay the applicable fees via electronic online platforms or at any available bank.
- Processing for Application: Application will be processed within 72 hours after which successful applicants can print their permit(s) online.
Now that you have all the basic information why not make that move by taking the first step of registering your company or get accredited to increase your chances to a fulfilling career in Environment Consulting. Kindly comment if this article has been helpful or you have certain questions. Thanks